Thursday, May 9, 2013

Imposter (Slide #2) by Jill Hathaway {REVIEW}

Book Title: Imposter (Slide #2)
Author:
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal
Publication Date: March 26th 2013
                     by Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins
ISBN: 0062077988
Edition Language: English


Blurb:


What if a killer took control of you?

Vee Bell’s gift (or curse) of “sliding”—slipping into the mind of another person and experiencing life, briefly, through his or her eyes—has been somewhat under control since she unwillingly witnessed the horrific deaths of her classmates six months ago.
But just as things are getting back to normal, Vee has a very bizarre experience: she loses consciousness and finds herself in a deserted area, at the edge of a cliff, with the broken body of the boy who took advantage of her on the rocks below.
As Vee finds herself in stranger and stranger situations with no memory of getting there, she begins to suspect that someone she knows has the ability to slide—and that this “slider” is using Vee to exact revenge on his or her enemies.
ADD TO GOODREADS


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review: 


I never managed to read the first book of the series. Actually, I didn't even know there was a first book :p I happened to come across this book's cover and instantly decided to give it a try. It's after a few chapters I realized there must be a first book , as the incidents seem quite referential (I didn't even notice the subtitle saying it IS a sequel, silly me!) For once I even thought about stop reading this and waiting to get the book 1 of Slide series, but the plot was way too interesting to stop:D

Let me talk about things one by one. First, the cover of the book. I never realized pink, as a color, could look so mysterious and full of suspense. And the girl on the cover  (who doesn't fit my visualization of Vee at all lol) also appears paranormal-ish, just like the storyline.

Throughout the whole story, I liked Vee, a lot. I don't know much about her character as I haven't read book 1, but still the author is very much successful in portraying Vee in this book, so that readers like me don't feel lost. Her problems, her frustration or anguish were so well sketched that at times I felt like a tiny part of me belonging to her and feeling what she feels. The family's meeting with her long gone aunt and the events that follows her appearance leaves her no less disturbed, and this feeling of irritation reaches me as well( I often felt like making a boo-face to her :p)

I really, really, reeeally loved Rollins (except his pierced lip of course, I don't go too well with those stuff) through every thick and thin of the story. The character reminds me of my best friend to a great extent.

The plot development is wonderful, along with the characters. The surprise elements as the book approaches an ending are real;y wonderful. In order to avoid spoilers, I will just say there are one or two twists that actually surprise you. The ending is a bit unconventional according to me. 

The ending is both surprising and a tiny bit disappointing for me. At one hand it's interesting and because the way it ended caught me by surprise, but on the other hand, I was definitely not ready for such kind of an ending. Maybe the ending is what forced me to give the review a 4 star. But this is basically a very very good read. I would suggest it to anyone who loves paranormal books. Even if you haven't read the first book of the series, I think you can still give it a go.

 Follow on Bloglovin