Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Dreamwalker (Persephone's League of Immortals #1) by Andrea Heltsley {REVIEW}

Book Title: Dreamwalker (Persephone's League of Immortals #1)
Author: Andrea Heltsley
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date: (rewritten and edited) September 2013

[REVIEW COPY] 



Blurb: 


Noel Kennedy lost her boyfriend, her job, and her dignity all in one week and then gained an entirely new life. Hunted by a mysterious league of immortals, Noel must rediscover her forgotten past while uncovering the truth behind the two men who battle for her heart, both in dreams and in reality.

Entranced, she slowly unravels a world she was meant to stay out of, one filled with creatures she once thought to be myth and dangers that threaten her very soul. Now Noel begins the fight for her life and must choose between two men who call to her heart. Can she escape a life of servitude or immortality for a chance at love?


Book one of The Persephone's League of Immortals series.
  

PURCHASE/PRE-ORDER: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUMDK2S?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B00FUMDK2S&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-20 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FUMDK2S?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B00FUMDK2S&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-21 


My Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:  


I've read this book long ago, but writing my thoughts on this somehow slipped my mind. I would have liked it more if a proper back story was given in the beginning, the beginning seems to rush into the story without giving necessary details to go ahead with. I don't like when a story drags, but I also don't like jumping into the middle of one without being mentally prepared. And I feel the plot could have been made more attractive, with the Persephone theme and all, and a little more description on that part would have made the story REALLY attractive and interesting. The author chose a very interesting idea but could have executed it a lot more successfully.


As for the characters, I really felt the lack of finesse there. I'm not very much into boy-maniac girls, and though I have no issues with love triangles, this time it didn't click for me. I would have liked Noel more if she was a little more resolute. In comparison to her character, I liked Autumn, Boone and even Augustine! However, I felt the lack of connection to them I usually do while reading these kind of books.

The narrative was a little dull and at times, choppy. I have a hard time relating to a story if I keep stumbling on the words.

Overall, the plot was good, the theme was really  good. I just wish the author had made it a little more polished with well-built characters, a nice back-story and narration. This is a book in The Persephone's League of Immortals series, so I really hope the next book/s are successfully able to make up for these issues.

Follow on Bloglovin