Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1) by Wendy Higgins {REVIEW}

Book Title: Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1)

Author: Wendy Higgins 
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
ISBN/ASIN: 0062085611
Publication Date: May 1st 2012
                             by HarperTeen


Blurb:

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?


This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

PURCHASE/PRE-ORDER:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062085611?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0062085611&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-20 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0062085611?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creativeASIN=0062085611&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-21


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Confession time. I have the first two books on my kindle and somehow I jumbled the two, and I'd actually started book 2 BEFORE I read this one. (Could I get any more dumber?) But, I catastrophically managed to stop and start the first one and then come back to the second one all over again (it was a mess really). NO REGRETS though. :D

I'll keep it short and simple. There are things I liked and also things I didn't like. And sometimes, there are things I liked and yet somehow they disturbed me as well. It doesn't mean I disliked the book, because my rating wouldn't have been such in that case. It's just it is hard for me to pass a straight forward verdict on this book, it's still a bit confusing but I'll try to make it as clear as I can.


The thing that at a time unnerved and interested me was the Nephilims. They obviously aren't cute little angels.And thanks to Cassandra Clare's TMI books, I already had a preconceived notion about Nephilim so when they turned out to be almost 360 degree angled characters compared to that concept (I know I shouldn't have done that) I kind of freaked out. I couldn't approve most of the things they were doing, but I couldn't totally hate them for what they are shown as. SO that is one of my dilemmas.

Then there is Kaiden. He is a lead, so obviously he should be likeable. And yes, I really liked him, in terms of appearance and his accent and his feelings for Anne. But everything else, at times, appeared really disturbing. I know that he is the child of the Duke of Lust so that pretty much explains his job (for the sake of a spoiler-free review I'll leave the details for you to find out). And even though it sounds quite interesting and intriguing at first it started to disturb me after a point (I can't usually accept my heroes doing such a "job" *sniff*). But overall, he is a hero with dark attributes and that is a big turn on ;)

As I mentioned already, apart from the 'disturbing' aspect, It's a drool worthy book. Though Anne seemed way too naive at some parts in the beginning, she evolved a LOT throughout the book. She was a confused girl in the beginning but once she meets Kaidan, her life is never the same again, for good or bad- it's yet to find out. But I liked her. Specially her ability to sense people's feelings and Auras. At least, for me it is better than Kaidan's ability (I feel bad for that guy actually). I wish I could have the same ability as Anna (SO COOL!)

The chemistry between Kaidan and Anna is HOTT (with an extra 't' ;)) Things were steamy enough, but I liked how Wendy portrayed it without making it look like too much of a thing. And being the kind of timid person and pacifist I am, I couldn't be happier seeing the way she had dealt with violence in the book. Thanks Wendy! :D

Lastly, it's a good book. Erm, that sounded lame. But it often happens to me; when I love a book and not sure how much or to what extent, I find myself fiddling with words to come up with a statement that would be apt to express my feelings (and apparently I suck at that too). But seriously, this is a lovely, lovely book. It's disturbing, with things that may often leave you frowning and yet you won't be able to keep it down until you've finished. I usually refrain myself from reading much angel and demon, fallen and guardian angel stuff, not because I don't like them, but because I do and I'm always afraid that I might end up being disappointed with a book. But I'm happy that I took to reading this one. If you are looking for a good paranormal read, specially dealing with good/bad, angel/demon as themes, you might not want to miss this one :)


 Follow on Bloglovin