Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Slither of Hope (Angel Sight #2) by Lisa M. Basso {REVIEW}

Book Title:  A Slither of Hope (Angel Sight #2)
Author: Lisa M. Basso
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date: August 5th 2014
                                   by Month9Books


Previous Book in the Series: A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight #1)


[REVIEW COPY]



Blurb: 
Rayna struggles to piece her life back together, but hiding in plain sight from the police, the SS Crazy, and the Fallen isn't a foolproof plan—something Kade, the World's Worst Roommate, reminds her of everyday. The late nights of failing to teach Ray how to protect herself against the Fallen are getting to Kade, changing him in ways he doesn't like, and after a family emergency sends Ray back into Cam’s arms, Kade decides he's had enough. News of Rayna's resurfacing brings both angels and the Fallen to San Francisco by the dozens, all eyes scouring the city for the girl with the gray wings. Rayna will need both Kade and Cam's help to ensure her family's safety, navigate the new dangers and enemies springing up all over the city, and manage the surprises that arise with her new set of wings.
 

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

My Review and Rant:

The Plot Development.

Gorgeous. Wonderful. Well, compared to A Shimmer of Angels, you may sometimes feel it lacking the action elements but that didn't bother me from enjoying the book. A Slither of Hope is more like a book that shows the not-too-action-packed surroundings before the big storm hits ( in A Matter of Time, hopefully). Rayna is still trying to come in terms with the changes in her appearance, her life and her feelings. There are fights, killings and encounters; of course the author won’t write a book only with character fillers will she?? Though comparatively there isn't a lot nail-biting action I really like the way the story progresses, making space for the future plot to take place.

Rayna.

Okay, so this is what bugged me. Rayna is in a very disturbed and problematic situation, no doubt. But I really expected to see a little mature Ray this time. But it’s the same old same old; Rayna the lost puppy, Cam or Kade (mostly Kade) to help her out leaving whatever it is they are doing. The book is basically about Rayna, and I really hope she redeems herself by the third book. I tend to gag when heroines I love acts all damsel-in-distress all the time. Seriously Ray, grow up! :s

Kade…KADE (or the Fallen love of my life ♥♥♥)

I really really reeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly liked Kade. If you are Team Cam, prepare to be heartbroken to see less Cam and MORE Kade…and author Lisa M. Basso makes sure there are enough chapters from Kade’s pov (where Cam gets nada..HAH! In your face!) Since there was satisfactorily sufficient amount of Kade-ness throughout the book, I may or may not have gotten a little biased to actually observe how he contributes to the plot :p But whatever he does, he is Ah-mazing and totally rocks (like that’s a totally useful information for those who haven’t read). Seriously though, if the book had to rely solely on Ray’s pov I’m afraid it might’ve turned into a confused and lost teen’s journal or something close to that. Kade’s perspective makes it a lot easier to understand his feelings and pain, inner turmoil and also the situation at hand to realize how much trouble Ray is in. What I loved the most (apart from that darkly handsome and painstakingly reckless and attractive persona) is possibly that his character remains the same here as well. Like a lot of other books where the badass Fallen guy/badboy gets mercilessly butchered in the second book to an utterly pathetic, gag-worthy, lovelorn lost soul *pukes*, Kade doesn't change much. If anything, he is more developed in regards to acting more indifferent and…something I can’t just put into words. I mean, the author makes sure he doesn't look pathetically in love with Ray to turn the world upside down or anything, and yet he somehow is, without ruining his character. That is what I really, really ADORED.

Cam.

So people, just because I've been doing my Kade-rant for the past few minutes ad I could possibly go on and on for about an eternity doesn't mean I’m underestimating Cam. Cam is there in the book, if you’re already bawling, thinking he isn't. Cam contributes a lot to the plot as well. Specially in the later half part of the story, and it’s somewhat interesting and may I say, intriguing (though it isn't his fault). I don’t hate Cam really. He is like the good boy of  the school, the teacher’s pet, who obediently obliges to whatever the teacher says, does his homework on time, tries to be in the good book by doing all the student-ly chores appropriately, even if it means ignoring or sacrificing his own wishes and things he loves to do. He is just an A-grade angel (if there’s anything like that at all) and trying hard not to Fall. But what can I say? I have a gargantuan thing for fictional Fallen/ Bad boys (real life is a totally different thing though :p)

The Ending.

After all the character and plot blabbering, nothing more is left to say about the ending that would be un-spoilery. The ending is a cliffhanger, though it’s not too serious to give you a heart attack (since I’m no good at digesting those). Just a thought though, I think it would have been a wee bit more interesting if the Journey had taken place in the third book. It doesn't spoil the plot or anything, but maybe it would've been more interesting then…just a thought : )

As I've mentioned earlier, I’m not a huge Angel-Fallen reader. I've read only a few books under this specific category so I’m possibly not the best one to judge. But personally, I feel that A Slither of Hope is one of the best fantasy and Angel-Fallen books I've read so far. If that means anything, just go and try the book (make sure you've read A Shimmer of Angels first) and see how it turns out for you :D


What is the last Angel based book you've read??


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)