Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dead Girl Walking (Royal Reaper #1) by Ruth Silver {REVIEW}

Forget everything you know about grim reapers. Princess Ophelia Dacre sneaks out of the castle to visit her boyfriend in secret. A perfect night cut short when she's brutally murdered. Ophelia is given the rare chance to become a grim reaper. She must become Leila Bele, cut ties with her old life, and follow the rules of the reapers. Her greatest adventure begins with death.
Recommended: Ages 14+



Book Title: Dead Girl Walking (Royal Reaper #1)
Author: Ruth Silver
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Publication Date: April 27th 2014
                               by Patchwork Press
[REVIEW COPY]

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:


The Plot.

What's the most interesting thing about this books is the plot. The heroine turning into a grim reaper and getting used to a life of giving people ease of death is not something you would see in an everyday story. This is the first thing that compelled me to go for this book. While the author executes the plot in a pretty decent way, I believe there was a lot of room for improvement. Since it is the first book in the series I guess much of the action I was hoping to see here would occur afterwards. 
The Narrative.

Compared to the plot, the narrative is a let down. While the first half isn't that bad the latter part seems gritty. I had to reread at places to understand the shift of point of views. It seems like the author was in a hurry to finish it off and did so without properly editing the narrative.

Ophelia. Wynter.

Ophelia is okay. As a character, I don't love her, and I don't hate her either. I just feel her character should be a little more developed than it is now, since she is the lead and the main storyline revolves around her.
Same goes for Wynter. I'm saying this with a slightly heavy heart because I love to love the characters of a book. It doesn't necessarily have to be the main characters, it can be anybody. But while I could somewhat feel a little sympathy for Leila, I didn't feel anything strong in particular for Wynter. The romance seems a little predictable to me, even though I'm hopeful it would be better in the next books. Both Wynter and Leila are interesting characters and I can say that even though they are lacking proper character development at this moment. I strongly believe the relationship between Leila and Wynter can be way more magical. Again, it's just the beginning of the series, so I hope these two characters (if not anyone else) are able to redeem themselves.

To sum it all up, Dead Girl Walking is a book full of potentials. While I feel this first book hasn't overly impressed me with its use of these potentials to the par, I'm still going to keep an eye for the second book of the series, majorly because of the concept and to see how it turns out. At the end, once again, it's a give-it-a-shot kind of book, mostly for its uniqueness of the plot.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)