Monday, May 17, 2021

Buzz Kill by Beth Fantaskey {Review}

In this fresh and funny teen mystery, seventeen-year-old Millie joins forces with her classmate, gorgeous but mysterious Chase Albright, to try to find out who murdered Coach Killdare.

Putting the dead in deadline
To Bee or not to Bee? When the widely disliked Honeywell Stingers football coach is found murdered, 17-year-old Millie is determined to investigate. She is chasing a lead for the school newspaper - and looking to clear her father, the assistant coach, and prime suspect.

Millie's partner is gorgeous, smart-and keeping secrets
Millie joins forces with her mysterious classmate Chase who seems to want to help her even while covering up secrets of his own.

She's starting to get a reputation…without any of the benefits.
Drama-and bodies-pile up around Millie and she chases clues, snuggles Baxter the so-ugly-he's-adorable bassett hound, and storms out of the world's most awkward school dance/memorial mash-up. At least she gets to eat a lot of pie.

Best-selling author Beth Fantaskey's funny, fast-paced blend of Clueless and Nancy Drew is a suspenseful page-turner that is the best time a reader can have with buried weapons, chicken clocks, and a boy who only watches gloomy movies…but somehow makes Millie smile. Bee-lieve it.

Pair with Fantaskey's best-selling Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.

Book Title: Buzz Kill
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Romance
Publication Date: May 6th 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers

          


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Thoughts:

The Ooh Moments:

How the author combines suspense and the YA theme together. Going in I was reluctant thinking how could a YA novel portray a murder mystery story properly? Beth did an excellent job in that. There is murder/s, mystery, thrill and suspense, but it still has the right kind of charm to make it a good YA read.

The Eh Moments:

Millie and Chase relationship dynamic. I was fangirling hard, until the end. Then the indefiniteness of the whole thing bothered me. I am not asking them to hold hand and run off together into the sunset, but I like my book pairs to have some kind of definitive ending, which I didn't get here.
The suspense revelation. While I like that Beth didn't do the over the top mystery suspense track dragging, I felt like the revelation kind of felt flat. The BeeBee part was actually good, but the revelation and the justification didn't really convince me much.

Quote love:
She still sounded incredulous, while I thought, For the last time-- what is the big deal with FOOTBALL?

"What?" I squeaked. "Don't be ridiculous! Do you think I'm like every other girl who falls apart and gets all tongue-tied in your presence? And I know this isn't a date. I'm well aware of that." I picked up the hem of my shirt, showing him the stain. "Would I have worn this on a date? Of course not! It's covered with Fudgesickle! Who would do that? So why would I be nervous? Huh?"

Something, or maybe everything, I'd just said had made Chase Albright-- he of the stone face and anguished psyche --laugh. Hysterically.





- Lady Inck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)