Sunday, May 4, 2014

Switched by Cassie Mae {REVIEW}

Book Title: Switched
Author: Cassie Mae
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Comedy
Publication Date: December 2nd 2013
                          by Random House LLC

[REVIEW COPY]

Blurb:
Ever since high school, Kayla has been crazy for gorgeous football player Talon. But before she could muster the courage to tell him, he became a hot item with her beautiful BFF, Reagan. The only person who knows Kayla’s secret is Wesley, Talon’s best bud—and he’s got it bad for Reagan. Now they’re all in college together, hanging out 24/7. For Kayla, seeing the two lovebirds together is absolutely unbearable. So Kayla and Wesley hatch a plot to drive them apart before Talon has a chance to give Reagan the Christmas gift she’s been waiting for.

Soon enough, the once happy couple is fighting. Reagan suddenly can’t get enough of Wesley’s goofy sense of humor, and Talon seems to be paying more attention to Kayla than a guy who’s “only a friend” ever should. But just when everything seems to be falling into place, Kayla and Wesley accidentally spend a night together and discover a hitch in their plan they never considered: that switching partners may not lead to a perfect ending after all.

PURCHASE/PRE-ORDER:

My Rating:  4 out of 5 stars

My Review: 

I haven't read Cassie Mae's book before. This is my first, and I'm really glad that I tried. 


The story.

Is pretty predictable. But still I lived how Cassie had built and executed it. The plot revolves around four friends, Kayla, Regan, Wesley and Talon. Talon has been Kayla's crush forever and Wesley's heart pines for Regan. Unfortunate for them, Regan and Talon are dating each.other. It's not long before the duo, Wesley and Kayla, decides to work as break up catalysts in the relationship of Regan and Taylor,
which seems to be facing constant tiffs nowadays. They lay out a "perfect" plan and soon things events begin to occur in their favor. What is problem then? Why none of them seem happy? You can guess what might have happened, but you need to read it to know exactly how they did happen.


The characters.

As far the characters are concerned, I like them all in the way that Cassie Mae has made them appear quite realistic. You don't feel like they're too good or awesome to be true. I specially liked Talon a little more because of his role here. Usually I don't find such characters who prove to be so helpful and selflessly cooperative. Wes is nice too, and I really like her friendship moments with Kayla. The bonding he shares with her reminds me of a friend of mine. He is definitely a nice guy, though I didn't find myself drooling over him the way I usually do for heroes. (But that's okay, since it would get harder if I start drooling over ALL the fictional heroes).


The ending.

Was really surprising. The ending is pretty obvious but it comes with a twist, which makes the ending quite enjoyable. 

As I did not expect this book to be anything unconventional, I won't say I'm disappointed because it its predictable. It's worth reading to find out how the author pulls everything off. One thing I would I would like to point out specifically though, is the cover. It isn't quite attracting. If I had given into my ultimate cover glutton and not read the blurb at the beginning, I wouldn't have chosen it at all. And also, I feel that title can often seem confusing to a point. If you take 'switched' in a literal way, you can get deranged very easily. I think (and I hope what I think is right) the meaning lies in the very last lines of the book.



Follow on Bloglovin