Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick {Review}


A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.
Book Title: Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) 
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date:
 October 13th 2009 by Simon & Schuster BFYR
   

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Thoughts:
I had a hard time rating this one because I'm not completely sure where I stand with this read. It's...complicated.

First of all, what is this deja vu feeling I kept experience the whole time? I feel like I have read this book before, but I can't seem to remember when and if I have at all. Strange :\

I liked how some things were different in this book compared to others of this genre. Nora has a pine, for a change (even though I had to eye-roll at her excessive flushing and blushing around Patch, multiple times). I like the character of Dabria, and even though I prefer to keep my book babies together at any cost, I'd rather have her over other non-convincing bad guys...which brings me to that whole suspense about "who's the person?" plot of the book.

THAT. Did not really convince me much. I won't say the whole revelation wasn't surprising, but it was kinda let down for the most part. Scenes where I should have been at the edge of my seat, I was kinda bored and wanted to get over with the part. I wish the second book does a better job.

One of the things I really liked about this book is Becca didn't try to oversell the whole fallen angel thing. The terms 'forbidden love' and 'fallen angel' makes me yawn because I know for the most part where the story is headed, but for this one, I was really glad to see how maturely it was handled. Phew.

One of the best things about this book is the ML, Patch. Also, WHY on earth would you name anyone Patch (I get the backstory but still)? I simply LOVED how his character is portrayed though. Unlike many many other books, you don't see him as the all good all white guy, because he has a dark past, and he seems to openly admit that he's trouble, but he does it with a charm of his own. I love the fact that he's unpredictable, fun-seeking, trouble-making, seductive fallen: makes him appear human to me, and he kind of isn't like the stereotypical fallen either, which is GOOD. Most of the times it seems like he's just fooling around, messing with your head, but there's a side to him that he doesn't intend to show, a side connected to his past. Specially to Nora, because he didn't want her to judge him by his past actions I guess. Talking of which, I enjoyed Nora and Patch's relationship dynamic for the most part, one of the many reasons: he didn't go all I-feel-very-protective-of-you-so-must-stalk-you-24x7. Ugh, talk about creepy.

The main reason why I wanted to read this book is that I had read Becca's other book called The Black Ice, which I found to be pretty amazing (even though it was a different genre). Whoever has read at least one of her books and likes her writing style, this book is for them. Also, if you're into fallen/angel/ supernatural-human plots, this might be a good thing for you to try!

Quote love:
"Go ahead," he said quietly. " Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't."
"You're impinging on my private space," I said, inching backward. "Impinging? This isn't the SAT,  Nora." 


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)