Friday, April 5, 2013

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver {REVIEW}

Book Title: Pandemonium (Delirium #2)
Author:
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Sci-fiction, Romance
Publication Date: February 28th 2012
                                 by HarperTeen
ISBN: 006197806X
Edition Language: English

Blurb: 
I’m pushing aside
the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana
and my old school,push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.The old life is dead.But the old Lena is dead too.I buried her.I left her beyond a fence,behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.



 My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

My Review: 


If you have read my previous post, you already know it by now that I purely loved Delirium. As soon as I finished the first book I started reading this second one with a very very anxious heart. I had high, real high hopes and I didn't want to break it, which is quite a common thing when you are reading a series. Did Lauren Oliver passed this test? Well, not only she passed, she did so with distinction! :D And I am more than happy that she did!

Here I MUST mention; this is the sequel and therefore may contain information from the first book of the series. If you haven't yet read Delirium, I say DON'T READ THIS REVIEW!! I don't want to spoil the story for you. There, I gave the 'Disclaimer' part, now the rest is upto you :D

At first let's talk about the characters. I couldn't get over the fact that Alex is done. I felt like suffering more than Lena! In this book I fell for Lena all the more because of her capability to suffer and fight and ultimately to cope up and transform.

I have read novels where the female or the male lead suffers the loss the loved ones and then they become strong (and healthy!) overnight. Well this always seemed to me a bit non-realistic. In real life, people can never let go of their past, or their loved ones so easily. However, the author seems to understand that very well in this case. Lena's rejuvenation was possible only because Oliver made it possible. From the beginning I see her as the broken person and even before I realize I see her in a completely new light. This, according to me, kind of gives her an epic hero quality.
"That's the flip side of freedom; When you''re completely free, you're also completely on your own."
No matter what, this for me best explains Lena's situation. Poor girl:(

She reminded me of Aeneas who was afraid to have gone out in a journey so full of toil and hardship and at the last who had become the one said to be the founder of the Rome. Lena becomes changed, strong, like a fighter but still a little crack is left deep down inside her. All this is make her who she is. Plus the concept of making it a book divided in  'Now' (her city life) and 'Then' (life in the past) sections is really innovative. Loved the idea.

While on one hand I can't forget Alex :( on the hand I meet some new characters - Raven, Hunter, Tack....and Julian. Gosh I hated him first for being Lena's love interest! But I must say the author knows how to make the readers fall in love with the characters of the book:D
"I wonder if this is how people always get close: They heal each other's wounds; they repair the broken skin."
That's the case with me for Julian I guess lol. He repaired my broken heart after Alex's death :D

The action and the storyline of this second book is as usual awesome. After finishing the book, I was most happy about one thing, I had the third book with me at that moment!! Otherwise I would've gotten a heart attack out of anticipation and tension :p

So in one line, Pandemonium is one of the best sequels I have ever read.

 Follow on Bloglovin