Saturday, March 30, 2013

Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver {REVIEW}

Author:
Genre: Young Adult, Science fiction, Romance
Publication Date: February 7th 2012
                               by HarperTeen
ISBN: 0061726834
Edition Language: English

Blurb: 

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever.
And I've always believed them.
Until now.
Now everything has changed.
Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.
Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

My Review:
WOW! Can't believe I actually started reading this book after soo long! I have been looking forward to reading this book for so long now and almost lost hope. But as they say everything happens for a reason, I not only read this but also the other two books of the same series at once! Yaaayy! Happy me :D:D Special thanks to my friend Nash for lending me the third book to read...such an angel na? :D

To start off, I will say what I didn't like. Sorry let me correct myself, what I thought I won't like while reading the story. It seemed that I would not like the world of Delirium (forgive me if I get a little personal here!) I really can't think of a world without love. I.CAN'T. PERIOD. I LOVE being loved as well as I LOVE to reciprocate it.
"They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness...
It kills you both when you have it, and when you don't."
How is it even possible to like a world where love is seen nothing more than a disease that needs to be "Cured"? How? Why? Is that even possible? Really? All the questions came haunting me, seriously!
"It affects your mind so that you cannot think clearly, or make rational decisions about your own well-being."
But as Oliver has portrayed, it IS Delirium, a loveless world, full of people with loveless hearts (I still feel weird writing these words!) And they seem to be totally okay with it (which is really a bit irritating as I think). Marriage here is also not based on love, which is why the 'un-cureds' are forbidden to have physical contact with the opposite sex. Rather-
“Marriage is Order and Stability, the mark of a Healthy society.”
Okay, let me stop complaining in case I go overboard.:p Once I got into the storyline well, these were not a problem, rather exactly the things that made Delirium so wonderful. So thumbs up!

Another Paperback Edition
Now let's come to the characters. I really liked how the author portrayed the character. From the beginning, I kind of liked Lena. She seemed to me like a normal girl, with what we may call an abnormal life. She is to abide by the rules set by the society and she seems trying to do that as good as she can. But she's just not the right person. And it's not too late before she realizes it herself. Her leaps of faith makes her what she actually is.
"He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly."
And near the ending when she says-
"I'd rather die my way than live yours."
Bravo! I fell in love with her!!
Now...*ahem ahem* Alex....where do begin? He is just one of the AWESOMEST male leads among the books I've read, seriously! This is a guy worthy of all the drools and swoons and heartbeat-skipping! Most importantly he is the one who made Lena realize fully the difference between appearance and reality. He is the one exposing her to the truth that there is more than it meets the eye. The chemistry between them, God I have rarely fell so much in love with a couple from a book..what more can I say?

According to me, Lauren Oliver's Delirium is kind of a masterpiece. Delirium is such a world that would take you inside it and within the blink of an eye you feel that you are the very part of it. Marvelous reading.

 Follow on Bloglovin