Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Eve and Adam (Eve & Adam #1) by M. Grant & K. Applegate {REVIEW}

Book Title: Eve and Adam (Eve & Adam #1)
Author/s:

October 2nd 2012
                               by Feiwel & Friends 
0312583516




And girl created boy…
 In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?








In the beginning, there was an apple" but honestly, in the story the apple doesn't even play such a symbolic part to be the center of attention in the cover of the book. This cyborg-ish apple was something that made me reschedule my reading list and this is what I get? An accident and nothing afterwards? Okay it's not mythology anymore and maybe I am expecting beyond limit but still I can't forget the fact of it is not any more important than a hotdog or a bagel, sorry!

"And girl created boy"- and this is what made me crave for the book. Obviously, Eve was given a "project" to create a simulation of a perfect human being and it was much later when she realized it wasn't a mere "simulation". And trust me, from the very moment she start with the project, I started biting my nails out of tension. She mused on and created one part and I was like "Girl you don't realize but you're gonna be in deep trouble" and then she created the other and I was like "Please will someone stop her?". The tension was very well built up until the point where the 'revelation' of Adam takes place. This is something I ilked but then again, Adam disappointed me.
First thing, no one in this world is perfect. In my whole life till now, I have NEVER seen a perfect boy (well I'm kinda picky at these things :p) So when Eve goes on to make one, I possibly can't imagine what it would be like to have the perfect boy standing in front of your eyes. But for me, that's the whole point and that is the fun, the 'not knowing what it's like', which is probably why I felt a Adam's description to be a little let-down. Yeah, he has this awesome physique- awesome face cut, awesome lips, awesome eyes, awesome abs- overall, an awesome blend of awesomeness right? And at times we see Eve and Aislin even, almost drooling over him (along with others) and yet all I did was struggle, to find himself hot enough to look twice. I guess "Too many cooks spoil the broth" kinda thing happened here as well.

Now Solo, I liked him more than the other characters. Though I didn't find any logic to many of his actions I'm still happy because it's possible to overlook them without spoiling the fun, unlike Adam. According to me the title should have been "Eve and Solo", though that would've sounded utterly stupid and meaningless but at least I could be happy that the title characters are properly present and active throughout the story whereas for Adam, I don't even know why he is 'The Adam'...he doesn't even do anything there! :(
For Aislin, I don't know what others think but I kinda liked her. I mean her character seems to be more well built than Eve's. She is continuous shown as a promiscuous little s*ut but I think she is more realistic and active than Eve.

And the end... well, I'm a sucker of happy endings, though I know life is not fair and blah blah but still, I love them.So when for a moment I saw an upcoming crisis as to who would Eve choose at the end I was really on the edge of my seat. That nervousness and the tension was well built up by the author and yet, the way it ended spoiled my mood. It seemed as if the ending was very very abrupt and the finishing was not at all what it could've been.

Why did I give it a 3.5 then? I liked the concept, I really did. I just wish the authors had written it a bit differently. It could've been an excellent story in that case. I liked the cover (again the apple *sigh*), the subtitle, Aislin and some of the other sub plots. One good thing is it is a quick read. SO if you're not dying with a workload like me, then I say you can give it a try.

 Follow on Bloglovin