Saturday, May 4, 2013

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer {REVIEW}

Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science fiction, Romance
Publication Date: February 5th 2013
                           by Feiwel and Friends
ISBN: 0312642962
Edition Language: English

Previous Book in the Series: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

Blurb:
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

My Review:
I know I'm late compared to others in reading the book. But I finally finished it and seriously, I regret it.
Before everyone starts throwing rotten eggs at me, let me just clarify it. I DO NOT regret reading it, but I regret that now I have finished reading it, I don't have to anything else to do other than waiting until the next book is published, which is, like forever!!

I must say I was a little bit worried before starting to read Scarlet. This is because I lovedCinder. I loved it so much that I felt like dying (okay that was an overstatement!) after I had finished that. I have seen many a times the first book of a series being awesomely wonderful and the later one turning out as a HUGE disappointment. I really didn't want that to happen in this case. Thanks to Marissa Meyer for not breaking my heart :D

First, a little back story. You may think I'm a weirdo or something, but I actually didn't know the original story of The Red Riding Hood (guess that's the actual title?). All the Grimm fairytales and Hans Anderson ones are not a part of my culture, yet I know almost all the major ones like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella etc( except for Rumpelstiltskin, I still don't know what is this with his trade thing). For this when I encountered the characters of Scarlet and Wolf in Scarlet, I found I was lost at times. I had to go through the real fairytale in order to get along properly with the storyline. Not at all a waste of time:p:D

Now, where should I start from? Okay, first let me talk about the characters in short. (And I'll try to be as much spoiler-free as possible, the only para with spoiler is marked and indented) Scarlet is a wonderful character. Seriously, just so..humane and wonderful! I'm not good at visualizing characters from a book, unless it's out of the world awesome. Here, I could clearly see a girl in front of my eyes, who is even more beautiful than the original fairytale Scarlet. Throughout the whole story, the author portrayed her in a wonderful way- kind and nice, open minded, brave and yet not devoid of femininity, determined to find the only person she can call family and continuously battling with her emotions and suspicions after she meets Wolf. I was kind of missing Cinder at the very beginning but the more I came to know Scarlet the more I fell in love with her (but forgive me because she'll always be the second:D)

And now Wolf, okay I shouldn't be saying this as I thought I am very much in love with Kai from Cinder, but if there's a contest b/n Wolf and Kai my vote would probably go for the first one. His very description made me blush! That's one of the beauties of Marissa Meyer's writings. She didn't use one steamy word to describe Wolf and yet I blushed (I know I suck at these things :p) And I could visualize him all the more. A guy, struggling, terrified to lose someone he was not supposed to have, fighting constantly with the one inside him, the one he probably never wanted to be- it's just SO WONDERFUL :' )

Those who haven't yet read the book and may be wondering whether Cinder was made a secondary character here, I must tell them NO! In fact, I feel the dose of Scarlet and Cinder was given in perfect proportion. Just when I started feeling like "Whoa, I wonder what's going on with Cinder" then bam!- there go chapters fully loaded with Cinder-ous (couldn't find a right word:p) incidents. I am a bit tensed though, about how the author is going to adjust 3 and 4 characters for the next two books in such a short area. I just hope none of the characters is made less important, I may even get a heart attack out of grief X_X ..But she's Marissa Meyer, so I guess magic will happen :D

***About Thorne, I think, he may have a 'thing' for Cinder. But I really wish he doesn't die. Gosh! What's wrong with me? I seem to like all the boys here :P:P No, I don't want Cinder with anyone else except Kai, but that doesn't ever mean I would like Thorne dead. Please, pretty please!

The story is super awesome (even awesome is an understatement!) I liked it more because there were more action, romance, suspense and a lot of tension (the last one's for me). After blabbering so much about the characters, I feel I have nothing left to say for the story. It is a wonderful plot. The characters are what makes the story a Lunar masterpiece. It's not just a pretty cover, but a fascinating story to read.

 Follow on Bloglovin