Monday, January 27, 2014

The Boy From The Woods by Jen Minkman {REVIEW}

Author: Jen Minkman
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Publication Date: December 1st 2013 
                                     by Createspace
ISBN/ASIN: 1492977233

[REVIEW COPY]

Blurb:
Julia fell down on her knees next to his lifeless body, her heart filling with dread as she noticed the left side of his face was covered in blood. He had fallen off the motorbike, hitting his temple on a sharp-edged rock. His head injury looked really, really bad.
“Michael?” she whispered softly, putting a trembling hand on his forehead. “Can you hear me?”
Julia has been in love with Michael for years. He’s the hottest guy in school, and she can’t believe her luck when they finally hit it off during Senior Prom. Her dream doesn’t last, though: after a few dates, he callously dumps her out of the blue. Summer vacation starts with Julia feeling heart-broken and miserable.
But then she rescues Michael in the woods when he has a motorcycle accident in a heavy thunderstorm. From that point onward, her life is turned upside down. Michael has changed completely after the blow to the head that nearly killed him... and he wants her back. But why is he so different? And will she be able to trust him this time around?
Can the boy who broke your heart ever win it back again..?
PURCHASE / PRE-ORDER:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GYEWV4Y?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B00GYEWV4Y&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-20  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1492977233?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creativeASIN=1492977233&linkCode=xm2&tag=invogwitboo-21



My Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

The plot is good. It has potentials. If others things had gone well, I would have loved it, seriously, and I really wanted to love it.

I loved the cover. It is beautiful. Not the blurb, not the title, because of the cover alone I had requested it.It has a fairytale-kind of touch to it. And I read the blurb much later after I've got it.


Mostly I wasn't happy with the character development. I wanted to see more of Julie. More of Michael, together if not individually. But they seemed as if they are some supporting characters. Moments which could have been put to use to develop their characters were often occupied with minor characters. And even they were not crafted up to the mark! I dislike when I see the leads missing from the story.

Even though the plot was good,the story seemed dragging at times. I felt it contained filler scenes more than it was necessary. I mean, I understand if a book has filler moments, it is often needed for the story itself. But I'm not okay with too many of them!

The mystery element was not that bad. That is one of the few things I enjoyed about this book. But again, choppy character development affected that too. 
There are books that look promising at thier very first glances. This one was one such kind of book for me. Unfortunately, things did not click. I didn't hate the book, or I would have simply DNFd it, but I definitely had expected more and I feel sorry to have not enjoyed the book the way I wanted.
Are you planning to read it? Or read it already? Do you think the book was good and an enjoyable read? In any case, let me know...I would really love to know what went wrong (if anything did go wrong at all).

 Follow on Bloglovin