Monday, October 6, 2014

Geek Girl (Geek Girl #1) by Holly Smale {POCKET REVIEW}


Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.  
She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 
 Buy Geek Girl on AmazonAs Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.  
And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?
 Book Title: Geek Girl (Geek Girl #1)
Author: Holly Smale
Genre: Young Adult, Chick Lit, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date: February 28th 2013
                     by HarperCollins Children's Books


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My Review: 

Harriet. THE Geek Girl.

I love the character of Harriet. She is the character that reminds me of myself! She knows a lot of things about a lot of things. Oh and she makes the perfect lists (and never seems to be able to cross anything off those lists). Even though I felt she lacked a little development of the character she is LOVELY nevertheless...and I'm not being biased at all :-P

Nick.

Nick...*droooooools* Sorry..um...where was I? Ah yes Nick *nomnom* he is yum. Excuse my language. That's the only compliment I can give right now (well blame his hot and cuteness)! He's seriously a darling, from the beginning. What I loved most is the author doesn't show an insta-love brewing between Nick and Harriet, it's all quite gradual and anticipation-filled.

Others.

Among others, Wil 'bur', Nat, Toby and Harriet's Dad-all are equally enjoyable. Harriet's Dad is one of the coolest and sweetest fictional Dads I've ever read about B)
Dad frowns. "Why hasn't Annabel been teaching you how to walk in heels? I thought we had an agreement: I teach you how to be cool and she trains you how to be a girl."
I stare at him in silence. This explains so much.”

However, Wilbur is probably my favorite among them, specially for his so sophisticated diction ;P

Nick coughs too. "Nope. No idea at all."
Wilbur gives him a stern look. "So what was the point in doing all the Jane Austen stuff if she doesn't know about it, Poodle-bottom?”
And then, another one-
"Seriously," Nick snaps, making his fingers into a gun shape. "I'm going to take a shot in the dark in a minute and it will make contact."
Wilbur looks charmed. "Isn't he adorable?" he says fondly. "My duty as Fairy Godmother is complete, anyhoo, and I believe it's time to spread my magic dust elsewhere. So many pumpkins after all; so little time.” 

And, even though I wasn't going to admit it, I was literally rolling down my bed with laughter while reading Alexa's response in one of her classes:


...would you like to explain the significance of Laertes inHamlet?" He looks at Alexa. "Please go first, Miss Roberts."
"Well..." Alexa says hesitantly. "He's Ophelia's brother, right?"
"I didn't ask for his family tree, Alexa. I want to know his literary significance as a fictional character."
Alexa looks uncomfortable. "Well then, his literary significance is in being Ophelia's brother, isn't it? So she has someone to hang out with."
"How very kind of Shakespeare to give fictional Ophelia a fictional playmate so that she doesn't get fictionally bored. Your analytical skills astound me, Alexa. Perhaps I should send you to Set Seven with Mrs White and you can spend the rest of the lesson studying Thomas the Tank Engine. I believe he has lots of buddies too.” 

Now, I know a lot about a lot of things. Take Hamlet, for one. I had to study this awfully beautiful work (note the sarcasm) while doing my Major and even though I'm not claiming myself to be an expert at all, this is definitely not Laertes' literary significance (or at least not the significance Shakespeare himself had intended to show).

The Plot.

The plot is definitely interesting. It shows what kind of problems a normal geek like Harriet faces and how it often shapes her decisions and her life, for better or for worse. What I loved most is the way I could connect to her. Sure, you cannot do so without being at least slightly geeky. The storyline felt a tiny bit incomplete, but I guess it's because Geek Girl is a series, and it's only the beginning.

Overall, it's a nice, fun and simple read. I should warn you though. This book may seem boring if you don't have at least a single geeky bone in you. There are many references, puns and allusions you'd get only if you're really into cool stuff (read geeky stuff). If you're one, then go ahead and read. I've given it a 3.5 because I believe the geek girl's life is going to be more awesomesauce in the next book. Read away!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)