Monday, March 11, 2013

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer {REVIEW}

Book Title: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Publication: January 3rd 2012 
                     by Feiwel & Friends
Edition Language: English


Blurb:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
 ADD TO GOODREADS


My Rating: 5 out of Stars (You don't ask!)

My Review:
Cinder was one of my top 5 to-read on 2012. I was heart broken as hell when I didn't win the giveaway, but my belief that everything happens for reason seems to be justified now. And about this book, well, there aren't much words in to explain how I feel…simply to put, TERRIFICALLY AMAZING!
I am always head-over-heels in love with fairytales. Cinderella, in my childhood, was one of my favorites. Apart from that I have an exceptional connection with this name; one of my cousins’ name is the same, though she spells it differently (and no, she’s nowhere to ashes or dirt). I was certainly looking forward to reading the book. But frankly speaking, when I read the plot of Marissa Meyer’sCinder, I thought it would be just another re-telling of Cinderella story, in a cyborg-ish way… I was SO WRONG…
The author does not only give the story a sci-fi fairytale touch, but also‘re-innovates’ a new story within the old one. This intermingling is done so so so marvelously I don’t see why any reader who loves a good read won’t like it.
Even after being a cyborg, Cinder exhibits all the qualities of a neglected-but-not-so-ordinary girl from fairytales. There were moments when I found myself giggling, even at tensed moments in the story, just because of something she said. She fears of being hated by Kai the Prince, loves her outdated android Iko and dreams of being free- everything like a fairytale Cinderella would do. What more, she also seems to
hyperventilate (figuratively!) being near Kai.
“She sagged against the corridor wall, thumping her knuckles against her forehead. “I’ll comm you. You can call me Cinder,””
“What a shame you cannot blush, Miss Linh.”
Even some of the revelations are done so weirdly I couldn't help laughing.
“She stared at him, hard, as if there really might appear a “Lunar” tattoo on his brow.”
One of the best characteristics in Cinder according to me is her strength, her willpower to fight. She may be a damsel (a cyborg one!), but she herself is the one rescuing herself from distress. Her nature makes her a Cinderella and yet her personality is that of a rescuing Prince Charming. The Ball part literally reminded me of the Classic Cinderella-


Overall…I found the book entirely gorgeous, I finished it within two days on my PC and have already started reading its sequel Scarlet. Would recommend it to anyone…even possibly to myself again!

Follow on Bloglovin