Friday, March 29, 2013

Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy #1) by J.A London {REVIEW}

Author:
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Publication Date: May 29th 2012 
                             by HarperTeen
ISBN: 006202065X
Edition Language: English
 
Blurb:  

Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.


After the death of my parents, it's up to me--as the newest delegate for humanity--to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine . . . or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.



My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
My Review: 


Okay, this may be a bit long and step-by-step review. I got this book majorly because I liked it's cover. I must confess I have a weakness for book covers. When I saw this book I was like "Wow..looks cool, I'm surely going to read it." This was even before I read the blurb! When I started to read I just wished that it not to be a letdown because I have seen crap covered in awesomeness before.

Anyways, I would start off with the positive things first. The story was WONDERFUL. I really really really liked it. Some may say it's a story that is predictable after a few pages or chapters, but I really liked it, no matter what. I am shamelessly partial when reading Gothic or vampire stories,
 and if that is written in the way the book is, then it's always a thumbs up for me. I loved the dialogues, the setting - almost everything!    
"The sun finally begins to rise. Chasing away the darkness and monsters. And yet I can’t help but feel that both are still lurking nearby."
Oh yes, and I also liked the name 'Dawn'..I mean it's so so so cute and cool!!



Okay, enough swooning over name and all, now time for spreading some negative vibe..Muhahahaha!
Well, to be honest, there were some minor things I didn't like in the book. But I guess they were so minor compared to the things I liked that I don't even remember them now lol! But the only thing I regard as a considerable con is the development of the characters- all of them. 

I mean, there were sooo much room for character development! And characters according to me are something you can never repair once you've drawn them out! I was really hoping for a good character building... at least the portrayal of Dawn, Victor or Michael could have been much better. I could have easily fallen head over heels in love with them :(
It's not like the characters are not well supported, or do not have proper background to them; but I couldn't reach them. I didn't feel like that they were more than just characters from a book, persons living with and around me. Maybe I expect too much from a story I like too much but this part actually disappointed me.
On an overall basis, I would say that this book is actually a very, very good book. The author/s left no room for objection regarding the storyline as I mentioned earlier. The ending is one of the highlights of the story. The story, specially the ending is altogether what makes the story so special and makes me wait for the sequel of this book.

 Follow on Bloglovin