Friday, December 27, 2013

A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1) by Bella Forrest {REVIEW}

Book Title: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire 1)
Author: Bella Forrest
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
ISBN: 9781481280761
Publication Date: December 14th 2012
Edition Language: English


Blurb:

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.
A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. 

An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks? 


 PURCHASE / PRE-ORDER:


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Oookay...I have mixed feeling regarding this book. Firstly because I've liked the book the first time I saw it's name. Though it is clear from the title as to what the story is going to be, still the title sounded a little different to me. And I had to wait months before I could get to read it.

The characters in this book are at a time very typical and yet unconventional. The character of Derek is quiet like the one you'd see in any other vampire books, I'm-a-bloodsucker-but-it-hurts-to kill type. And, as usual, when he meets Sofia, something in his mind clicks.

No. In my eyes, she was most beautiful because at a time when she had every right to be terrified, she managed to show comfort to another person who needed it.

Still, I liked his character (duh, I always like all the hot vampire lead). He reminds me a lot of Edward, but still, he seems different, thankfully.

Regarding Sofia, I would say she is portrayed as a little different, not like 'OMG he is so hot I can't seem to avoid the fatal attraction' type. Of course, the chemistry between them is undeniably good. But in this first book, it's just a beginning so there's a lot of room for development. Another thing about Sofia is that even though she is portrayed as a normal girl, her guts to deal with such a big crisis of her life is praiseworthy. She is afraid, of course, but bravely faces the situation at hand. Sofia is normal, alone, afraid, yet quite practical, self-dependent, strong-minded and at times funny, even (though I doubt whether the situation was funny at all)

What is it with these people and shoving me up against hard surfaces?

I love the way the narrative shifts from Derek to Sofia, always a better technique to reflect the character's thoughts and feelings. Unfortunately, I had hoped to see more finesse to the characters. I mean, I like Derek and Sofia, and I like (like as in 'hate') Lucas and Vivienne, even Ben. But the characters could have been more developed. As I have the second book in my reading pile, I'm hoping the author has drwan the chracter in such a way so that she can develop them book by book. Let's hope that's the case cause I really get sad when I like a story but it has week character formation. The most disappointing part for me, however, was the length of the book. Really, this one moment I was getting 'into' the story and the other moment..bam! White page that tells me it's the end :'( Couldn't it be a little bit more lengthy?

Author Bella Forrest has written about a theme which is not very uncommon in recent times. There is a vampire, a human being, and possibly a future-love-story that will go on for quite a long series of books. Even though I have a mixed feeling regarding the book, I'm still hoping for a positive change in my mood after I get to read the other books in the series. I fyou are a fan of Twilight or vampire genre in general, I recommend you do give it a try. It's definitely worth the read:)
 
Follow on Bloglovin